Greatstone History: 1931 Plans for Greatstone
In 1931, given the potential for tourism and related residential population, local Littlestone builder and Councillor Mr C.E.Andrews had architect's plans drawn up to provide sites for over 1,370 residential properties in Greatstone.
The big charms of Greatstone were seen as its magnificent beach, its noted sunshine record, its beautiful air and the sense of seclusion.
The 1931 plans showing the intended development in Greatstone
Known as 'Greatstone Dunes Extension', the properties were to be located in the area between Dunes Road (with its Greatstone Dunes Station) and Hull Road, with the original Jolly Fisherman pub conveniently located in the south east corner of the development (see copy of plan below right). There were to be 1,379 land plots for sale.
The site covered an area north to south of about 1.3 miles and east to west of about 0.3 mile, approximately 250 acres. It was bounded by the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch (RH& D)Railway to the east and the now Dungeness National Nature Reserve to the west, completing surrounding the then Maddieson's Holiday Camp, now Romney Sands Holiday Park (see copy of plan above).
Architect's plans drawn up in 1931
The plans showed 'Bungalows Erected from £200' on a development with 'Concrete Roads, No Road Charges, Companys Water, Ideal Building Sites, Sea Views, Glorious Sands, Free Conveyance and Telephone Service'.
In the event such plans never materialised with just a hotel, the now Jolly Fisherman and some other facilities, including public toilets for the holiday visitors, being built in about 1935.
The shops at the east end of Dunes Road were built in the early 1960s as part of the limited development of Greatstone, which continued in to the 1970s.
Today Greatstone, whilst never growing to the size envisaged in 1931, is a delightful place to live and visit.
Site of the original Jolly Fisherman in 1931