Less than 200 years ago the village of Greatstone did not exist. As recent as 1816 the land on which the present village now stands was no more than just part of the seabed in Romney Bay, washed over by the tides of the English Channel.
New Romney lay at the inland side of the bay, the north entrance of whch was marked Little Stone amd the south entrance Great Stone.
See 1816 Ordnance Survey map below right.
Greatstone did not exist; just part of the seabed
Greatstone 'uncovered' by the sea
The Old Jolly Fisherman pub built
Greatstone predominently sand dunes
Sound Mirrors built
Maddieson's Holiday Camp built
RH&D Greatstone Dunes station opened
Plans for the development of Greatstone
Current Jolly Fisherman pub built
Southern Railway Greatstone-on-Sea station opened
The first St Peter's Church built
Shops in Dunes Road built
Current St Peter's Church built
Lifeboat Station in Greatstone established
Southern Railway Greatstone-on-Sea station closed
Gravel Extraction form Greatstone Lakes
Present Lifeboat Station in Greatstone built
RH&D Greatstone Dunes station closed
Greatstone is a recent name taken from a shoreline feature, since eroded by coastal changes, known as the Great Stone. see map right
Great Stone, as it was known in c1800, was just a shingle headland, being the land point that marked the southern entrance to the bay that extended almost as far west as New Romney. The sea had been retreating from New Romney, once a harbour and port, ever since the 13th century.
The same shingle headland existed in 1617. It was the northern extremity of the Dungeness shingle and was known as Stone Point/End. In about pre-1800 shingle moved south from Dymchurch (to the north of Greatstone, south of Hythe) and started to form a barrier to the sea. This was know as Little Stone, which became the viilage of Littlestone.
Silt started to build up behind this barrier and in 1839 a wall was built to exclude the sea just to the north of the present Littlestone, which accelerated this silting process. Around 1900 a further sea all was built that resulted in the gap between Greatstone and Littlestone being closed.
This was the beginning of Greatstone. And for shingle read 'stone' as in Greatstone.
Prior to the 1920s there was hardly anything to Greatstone at all. In the 1920s the area was predominantly covered by sand dunes and was known as the Greatstone Dunes Estate. It consisted of just a few properties mainly used as holiday homes.
Map showing location of Greatstone in 1816
The area between Dunes Road and Littlestone road ie the northern 'half' of the present Greatstone, was mainly taken up as a golf course, the Greatstone Golf Club. In about 1926 their clubhouse was destroyed by fire which led to the demise of the club in 1931. The dunes at Greatstone led straight to the sea and together with the fine sandy beach and safe bathing made for a popular holiday destination.
In 1931, given the potential for tourism and related residential population, local Littlestone builder and Cllr Mr C.E.Andrews had architect's plans drawn up to provide sites for over 1,370 residential properties in Greatstone.
You can read more about and see the plans for this development on our page 1931 Plans for Greatstone.