Lost Pubs of Romney Marsh
Over the years, many of the old pubs on Romney Marsh have closed and a couple have moved. We have identified seventeen such pubs to date that are now closed, some even gone. Please use the index or just scroll down the page.
We also know of the First & Last in Lydd and that there was an earlier Pilot Inn on Dungeness before the present one at Lydd-on-Sea. If you have any information about either of these pubs, or indeed any other lost pubs, then Peter will be pleased to hear from you.
The Alliance Inn c1930
The Alliance Inn in 2013
The Beehive Inn in 2015
A Grade II Listed Building located in Mill Lane, it is now a Grade II listed residential property.
The pub closed c1995 having recently been purchased by the brewer Shepheard Neame. Up to that time the pub had been run by two sisters.
Shepherd Neame had purchased the Black Bull and a second pub, The Royal Oak Inn at Bonnington, a couple of miles to the north east. Neither pub attacted enough custome are both were closed.
The Black Bull in 2016
The Bridge Inn in 2013
Map showing location c1900
The British Sailor c1936 (Ack.47)
A Grade II Listed Building located on the roundabout on the B2080 where it joins King Street. Closed about 10 years ago. Currently (January 2017) being converted into residential flats.
The Fleur de Lis Inn c 2012
This pub was located near the beach on Dungeness about 1 mile east of Dungeness Point, at the southern end of Dengemarsh Road.
Records show it was a pub in 1879 but was probably a pub long before that. It was a timber built bungalow of 4 bedrooms, sitting room and a large living room with a serving bar. It was next to Myrtle Cottage, which was built and occupied by the Prebble family, an old Dungeness fishing family, and was occupied up until the Second World War. All that remains today of both the Inn and cottage are their concrete bases.
Map showing location c1900
Hope and Anchor pub c1930 (Ack. 45)
The first Jolly Fisherman pub is shown on old 1899 Ordnance Survey map which confirms its location has being in Lydd-on-Seaon on the now Dungeness Nature Reserve, to the west of Leonard Road and just before Hull Road.
This location is some 2 miles to the south of where the now Jolly Fisherman stands.
It ceased being a pub at that location when its license was transferred to the present day Jolly Fisherman in c1935. Nothing remains of the old site today (2016).
The old Jolly Fisherman in c 1935
A Grade II Listed Building located in the High Street, it closed in 2015 and became a coffee shop in 2016
The New Inn in 2014
A Grade II Listed Building located in Fairfield Road, it closed in c 2010.
The Prince of Wales ce 2009
A Grade II Listed Building located in New Street. It closed in the 1970s and was subsequently converted into two residentail properties.
The Rising Sun in 2009
Rose Inn c1800s
Grade II Listed Building located to the east of Newchurch on the junction with GIggers Green Road. Built in the 18th century, it ceased being a pub in in the 1990s and is now a private home.
The Seahorse in 2012
The Ship in 2013
A Grade II Listed Building located in Station Road in Lydd. It was built in the 17th century or earlier. Served its last drink in 2012.
The Star in 2013