“The World, according to the best geographers, is divided into Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and Romney Marsh.”

St George, Ivychurch

St George at Ivychurch
St George Church

St George Church at Ivychurch was built in the 13th century, with additions in the 14th and 15th centuries. It was restored in 1888/90 and again in the late 1900s.

Due to its size and space, St. George's is known as 'the Cathedral of Romney Marsh' and is mainly a 14th-century building with a seven bay arcade built in the late Decorated style of English architecture.

The body of the church dates from around 1360 with the Perpendicular-style tower and west end being added about 100 years later. There are some remains/ reminders of an earlier, Early English, church which are mainly found at the east end and the first Rector is recorded as taking up his post in 1242. The building is mainly constructed of Kentish ragstone but some Caen stone from the earlier church can also be found as can many wave-rolled flints which are a reminder of the close proximity of the English Channel.

The nave is particularly impressive as it is empty of seats and the space is put to uses such as exhibitions, concerts, barn dances and the annual Harvest Supper. The recently restored north aisle (originally the Lady Chapel) is now a Museum of Rural Life.

It is said that tunnels connect the church to the pub next door which were used by smugglers.

 Video A Brief History of St George