Dementia Cafes on Romney Marsh
Dementia is an umbrella term for a range of progressive conditions that affect the brain. It can affect a person at any age but it is more commonly diagnosed in people over the age of 65 years. There are over 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK and this is set to rise to over one million by 2021.
Find out more about Dementia
Dementia Cafés are places to get information and advice about dementia for people in a relaxed setting. Go along to one of Romney Marsh's cafes and have a cup of tea with someone who understands. Their highly skilled staff can give you information and help signpost you to other available support services.
Your local Dementia Café provides a safe and supportive place for you to:
- discuss your own dementia diagnosis, or someone else’s, and think about what it means for the future
- get answers from health professionals and meet and learn from other people in similar situations
- keep active, make new friends and feel more confident.
On Romney Marsh, you will find Dementia Cafés in Greatstone and Lydd.
Supporting Coastal Residents Living with Dementia, Their Carers and Friends
Welcome refreshments served with a smile and information to digest, helping you to live well in Littlestone, Greatstone, Lydd-on-Sea and Dungeness.
At Pebbles Café
- Free café entry to a friendly atmosphere for tea /coffee, biscuits, and a chat
- Talking therapy of sharing with other café clients who are also living with Dementia or their Carers
- Availability to supporting information across Health Services, home adaption guidance and Wellbeing Assistance
- Opportunity to talk over your concerns with a staff member, or arrange a one-to-one with the Alzheimer’s Society Support Services or NHS Care Navigation
- Receive information and guidance from guest speakers, across a range of relevant topics helping you to ‘living well’.
- Participate in projects, if you wish designed to help support your ‘living well’ with Dementia and Carers also manage their own wellbeing.
Where Are We
- Our mission is to offer a safe and supportive environment for socialising to those living with Dementia, their Carers
- and Friends encouraging their shared experiences, helping facilitate community support for living well
- Our governance follows a Constitution and Risk Assessment with Personal data security conforming to GDPR regulation.
- Finances are strictly (not for profit) supported by Café Donation and external Grant Funding, operated through a Business Banking account with Lloyds Bank.
- Public and Employee Liability Insurance cover is arranged through a Charity Shield policy from the Methodist Insurance PLC.
Co-ordinator, Registered Nurse, and Training
Mrs Wendy Richley
12 Bramley Way
New Romney TN28 8FE
Treasurer, Publicity, and Safety
Ms Rochelle Saunders