Newchurch lies in one of the oldest parts of the Romney Marsh, surrounded by farmland. Newchurch was mentioned in the Domesday Book as the name of a hundred, which suggests that there was a church here at the Norman Conquest (1066).
In 1799 Edward Hasted described Newchurch:
"The whole of this parish is an entire flat of marsh grounds, with hardly a tree or hedge among them, much the same as the adjoining parishes of Eastbridge and Blackmanstone, already described. It is about three miles across each way; the village consists of only a few straggling houses near the church."
St Peter and St Paul Church
Eastbridge and Blackmanstone have long since disappeared but Newchurch is now a beautiful, peaceful village which enjoys a village green and the splendid 12th Century church of St Peter and St Paul.
Visit the church to view the village's history project display panels for an overview of the village's history and then explore to find the places described.
The Old School House in Newchurch was built in 1834. It served as the village school from 1846 to 1946, when it was then turned into a village hall before coming to a private residence. The listed building retains its uncoursed stone with plain tile roof, stone-coped gables, red brick ridge stack, 2-light stone mullion windows.
The Old School House Today
During the Second World War Newchurch was home to an RAF airfield, RAF Newchurch, that operated Hawker Tempest fighter aircraft which participated in the defence of the UK against the German V-1 flying bomb offensive of 1944.
Find out more on our Advanced Landing Grounds page.
There is a memorial dedicated to the airfield in its south-east corner.
A Chain Home coastal radar station was also located in the village.
Newchurch Village Hall
Situated in the heart of the village, the new Village Hall has been an essential part of community life for over 30 years. A large number of clubs, societies and groups meet regularly offering a diverse range of activities for members of the community for members of the community and surrounding areas.
The Old School House c1950
The Black Bull
The Black Bull was the only pub in the village, a grade II Listed Building located in Mill Lane, it is now a Grade II listed residential property. The pub closed c1995 having recently been purchased by the brewer Shepheard Neame. Up to that time, the pub had been run by two sisters.
Newchurch History Project
You can find out more about the history of Newchurch by visiting the Newchurch History Project.
Newchurch Village Hall