“The World, according to the best geographers, is divided into Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and Romney Marsh.”

The Pilot

Located in Lydd-on-Sea, the Pilot public house sits on the edge of one of the most unique settings in the country, the shingle desert of Dungeness. The sea is a stone’s throw away and views extend to the White Cliffs and France.

This busy family friendly pub is renowned for its fish and chips but also a wide range of other freshly-cooked dishes. The Dungeness National Nature Reserve, RSPB Bird Sanctuary and Dungeness Nuclear Power Station are nearby.

Dogs are not allowed inside the pub but are welcome in the garden. Car parking is available. 

Opening Hours

The Pilot is open:                                                                
            Monday to Saturday                   Sunday
            Bar: 11am -10pm                        Bar: 11am to 9pm                                      
            Food: 12noon – 9pm                  Food: 12noon to 8pm 
            Food Hygiene Rating               

Food Icon  Pub Garden Icon       TripAdvisor Iconreviews

The Pilot

Contact

Mandy & David Langton
         The Pilot
         Battery Road
         Lydd-on-Sea
         Kent TN29 9NJ
       
         Telephone Icon  01797 320314
         Email Icon  email

For more information please visit The Pilot website.

History

The origins of the name of The Pilot goes back at least 150 years. There is historical documentary evidence going back at least 150 years that the main bar building of The Pilot was constructed by upturning the hull of a Spanish ship called the ‘Alfresia’ which was deliberately wrecked by the locals in 1633, they murdered the crew and stole the cargo of brandy and gold.

Many old photographs (see photo right) show that the original building was indeed made from what looks like the hull of a boat, the timber spars can be clearly seen in pictures inside the Pilot.

The Pilot in c1909 was located it was on the corner as you enter Dungeness, next to the phone box i.e before the railway crossing and opposite the Watering House.

When the New Pilot was built in 1958 the interior was constructed with curved ceilings and large beams to carry on the tradition.


The Pilot c 1909
The Pilot c1909