Royal Oak, Brookland
This pub ceased trading on 31 October 2017. The Royal Oak, an Elizabethan building of 1570, was constructed adjacent to St Augustine's Church as a dwelling for the parish clerk and sexton. It remained as such until the I8th century when Jacob Ferriss was granted a licence "that he may suffer ale to be tippled in his house, but he may not suffer ale to be tippled during divine service". A lovely old Grade II Listed village inn offering home cooked food and 4 star accommodation. It's main bar has a woodburning stove with a fine inglenook and restaurant area. There are picnic-sets in the narrow garden beyond and quaint views of the ancient church and graveyard next door. Previously known as the Yew & Ewe.