Pubs Yesterday and Today in Photos
This page provides a photo gallery of the historic pubs on Romney showing how they looked like in times gone compared to how they are today.
Waiting for photo
The Bell Inn is a pretty, medieval 16th century free house situated adjacent to St George’s Church, in the centre of the small village of Ivychurch.
Botolphs Bridge Inn in c1935 (Ack.60)
Botolphs Bridge Inn Today Find out more
Captain Howey Hotel when it was the Station Hotel c1930s-40s
Captain Howey Hotel Today Find out more
City of London in c1905
City of London Today Find out more
George Hotel c1920
George Hotel date unknown
George Hotel Today Find out more
Located in the High Street in Lydd, the 17th century George Hotel was first built in 1620. In its long history, the George has been used by smuggling gangs, as a holding place for those on trial, as a coaching inn, and as a pub and hotel.
The hotel has a reputation for being haunted...
Witnesses have reported strange creaking noises, eerie whispering, slamming doors, loud bangs
and phantom footsteps.
Find out more about the George Hotel today
Jolly Fisherman in 1935
Jolly Fisherman Today Find out more
Hidden Treasure Dymchurch
Hidden Treasure in c1970???
The Hidden Treasure Today Find out more
Ocean Inn (as the Victoria Inn) in 1910
Ocean Inn Today Find out more
The Ocean Inn is a traditional community pub built 1733. At some period in its life, likely sometime between 1887 and 1901
The Pilot Inn c1909
The Pilot Inn Today Find out more
The origins of the name of The Pilot goes back at least 150 years. There is historical documentary evidence going back at least 150 years that the main bar building of The Pilot was constructed by upturning the hull of a Spanish ship called the ‘Alfresia’ which was deliberately wrecked by the locals in 1633, they murdered the crew and stole the cargo of brandy and gold. The Pilot in c1909 was located it was on the corner as you enter Dungeness, next to the phone box i.e before the railway crossing and opposite the Watering House. When the New Pilot was built in 1958 the interior was constructed with curved ceilings and large beams to carry on the tradition.
Find out more about the Pilot Inn today
More Old Photos of the Pilot click on a picture to see it enlarged in a slideshow
Red Lion c1920s
Red Lion today Find out more
The Red Lion pub is located in the village of Snargate dates from around 1540 and is Grade II listed.
A Finn's of Lydd Brewery, Style & Winch Brewery and later Courage Brewery house which has been in the continuous proprietorship of the Jemisons since 1911, variously named Alf's, Alf's, Doris's and Kate's representing each subsequent licensee from that family. The Jemison family bought the freehold of the pub from Courage in the 1970s. Real ales and ciders are sold, being poured on gravity dispense from casks in the public bar.
Find out more about the Red Lion today
Rose and Crown in 1928
Rose and Crown Today Find out more
The Rose and Crown Inn is located in Old Romney and dates as far back as 1689. When first built, the property was two farm dwellings, and these two with ten others and the church of St. Clement formed the entire parish of Old Romney.
You can find out more about the pub's interesting history here.
Ship Hotel c1950
Ship Hotel Garden c1950
Ship Hotel Today Find out more
The Ship Hotel, New Romney, is a 15th century pub and hotel situated in the High Street, New Romney.
The original Ship was built of mainly ship timber brought from the old port of New Romney. In 1662 it is recorded that the inn underwent extensive alteration, the thatch, wattle and daub was removed in part and replaced with tiles and bricks.
The Ship was an established coach halt being situated on the main Rye to Dover route. More recently In the 20th century, the cellar was also used as a public air-raid shelter in World War II.
Find out more about the Ship Hotel today
The Woolpack Inn in 1890
The Woolpack Inn Today Find out more