The Home Guard (initially "Local Defence Volunteers" or LDV) was a defence organisation of the British Army during the Second World War. Operational from 1940 until 1944, the Home Guard – comprising 1.5 million local volunteers otherwise ineligible for military service. These men were either too young to join the services, were in reserved occupations or were too old to join the services - hence the nickname "Dad's Army". Their role was to act as a secondary defence force, in case of invasion by the forces of Nazi Germany and their allies. They were to try to slow down the advance of the enemy, even by a few hours in order to give the regular forces time to regroup.
reference and more information
The Home Guard on Romney Marsh comprised four platoons and formed part of No.1 Battalion, Kent Home Guard headquartered in Ashford. The four were Brenzett and Brookland, Dymchurch, Lydd and New Romney,
Section of the Lydd Home Guard in 1942
The Women's Land Army (WLA) was a British civilian organisation created during the First and Second World Wars to work in agriculture replacing men called up to the military. Women who worked for the WLA were commonly known as Land Girls. In effect the Land Army operated to place women with farms that needed workers, the farmers being their employers.
As the prospect of war became increasingly likely, the government wanted to increase the amount of food grown within Britain. In order to grow more food, more help was needed on the farms and so the government started the Women's Land Army in June 1939. The majority of the Land Girls already lived in the countryside but more than a third came from London and the industrial cities of the north of England.
The current Aeronautical Museum at Brenzett is housed in some of the original buildings used as a hostel for the WLA, with part of the museum dedicated to them.
Women's Land Army Display at the Aeronautical Museum