St Mary, East Guldeford
St Mary Church
St Mary in East Guldeford was built in 1505 by Sir Richard Guldeford at his own expense on his own land. It was consecrated in the same year by the bishop of Chichester, Richard Fitzjames.
Unusually, the church is built entirely of brick laid in English bond and is more 'barn' looking than church looking. There is one plain door in the west wall. The roof is divided into two gables with a valley and a bell cote between. Inside features include a double decker pulpit and box pews. It is the only Romney Marsh church in East Sussex.
In 1676 an official population return for East Guldeford revealed that there were 35 parishoners. Now, 500 years later there are still only about 65. It is amazing that such a small community has maintained their parish church in such good repair for so long - in recent years with the help of the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust and Sussex Historic Churches Trust.
Inside St Mary