“The World, according to the best geographers, is divided into Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and Romney Marsh.”

St Peter and St Paul, Dymchurch

St Peter and St Paul Dymchurch
St Peter and St Paul Church

St Peter and St Paul church is a classic Norman church built in the 12th century about 1150 and has remained virtually unchanged for nearly 700 years.

In 1821 the population of Dymchurch increased extensions and modifications and the north aisle was extended and the nave re-roofed giving the church its present lop-sided appearance. St. Peter and St. Paul's has several stories surrounding it.

Its font was once thrown out - possibly by Protestant dissenters- and then restored in the 15th century after being recovered from a ditch.

The church has seen many alterations and restorations since it was first built in the twelfth century. A picture from 1821 shows a charming little church; however, following an increase in population the church altered and grew.

The Norman north wall was demolished along with the old steeple. Other Roman walls still remain as do the north, south and west doorways, the latter now inside a wall of the tower.

In the churchyard are a number of grave stones decorated with the skull and cross bones. Two tombstones in particular catch the eye. One is of Solomon Pepper, a character from the Dr. Syn stories, and the other is of Charles Keeley, a smuggler killed near the Ship Dymchurch by midshipman Richard Morgan who was himself killed by the Aldington smuggling gang in 1826 in Dover.

 Video A Brief History of St Peter & St Paul

         Website Icon reference and more information              Website Icon St Peter & St Paul  Today                Website Icon Churchyard Monumental Inscriptions

Dymchurch Burial Grounds

There are three separate burial grounds at Dymchurch, all surrounding St Peter and St Pauls Church. 

The cemetery at the front and side of St Peter and St Paul Church is owned and managed by the Diocese of Canterbury.
The cemetery at the side of the community hall was owned by Shepway District Council. It was closed as a graveyard some years ago, and the register of interments is now kept at Dymchurch Parish Council.
The burial ground at the rear of the Masonic Hall is owned by Dymchurch Parish Council. The burial ground has been full since 2008 and no further spaces are available.
      Right Icon Alphabetical listing of Interments at Dymchurch Burial Ground
Dymchurch Parish Council has a Memorial Garden within the burial ground for interment of ashes. There is also a facility to scatter ashes on the rose beds.
      Right Icon Alphabetical listing of the Interments of Ashes at the Memorial Garden
      Right  Icon Alphabetical listing of the Records of the Old Burial Ground
      Right Icon Dymchurch Burial Grounds Fees