St Peter and St Paul, Newchurch
St Peter and St Paul Church
Newchurch was mentioned in the Domesday Book as the name of a hundred, which suggests that there was a church here at the Norman Conquest (1066). The present St Peter and St Paul in Newchurch was built in c1200 and is known for its 'bent' tower.
The main fabric of the church was completed in the 13th century, remodeled and probably enlarged in the 14th century, with the first two stages of the tower being added in the late 14th or early 15th century.
The tower began to lean alarmingly due to serious subsidence and had to be buttressed to prevent the tower collapsing. Many years later, the final stage was added in an upright position to the tower, resulting in the characteristic bent shape.
The font is of particular interest, with its eight sides and its stem buttress. One of the shields on one of the eight sides has a sword, representing St Paul, with another shield with crossed keys representing St Peter. These two shields refer to the dedication of the to St Peter and St Paul.
In 2001 volunteers began extensive research so that the history of the village of Newchurch could be put together.
As well as Newchurch History Booklet, CD Rom and website, display panels were provided in St Peter and St Paul which give an overview of the project for visitors to the village. The panels include information about how the viilage has changed, farming the land, smuggling, Newchurch's role in the Second World War and local life in the viilage.
The display can be viewed at anytime the church is open, which is on most days.
You can find out more about the project on the Newchurch History Project website.
Newchurch History Display Project